Thursday, February 10, 2011

Get Involved

Get involved in your community. Do something that is meaningful to you and/or your family. For example, if your kids are involved in a sport see if there is some way that you can also participate...run the snack-bar, help out with organizing activities, etc. You can also join your kids school PTO or the Board of a local non-profit or Church. It is important to stay connected with your community and do things that are relevant and meaningful to you. It definitely can add to your quality of your life and give you new experiences and access to new friends/support systems.

I have joined the Board of my children's preschool. Education is something that is very important to me and I genuinely care about our preschool. Being on the Board allows me to have a say in what experiences are offered to the young people in the preschool and keeps me up-to-date with any changes to the school and/or curriculum. It has also allowed me to meet new people in my community and learn of different resources/events/activities in my town and in neighboring communities.

One word of caution, however, sometimes these meetings can be an outlet for community gossip, especially if you live in a small town. Make it a priority to stay out of the gossip. Take the higher road and remember why you have joined the organization, to make a difference for the community, not to get caught up in the affairs of your neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment