Friday, February 18, 2011

Do Better!

"I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better." - Maya Angelou


This is my mantra in life. Not only for myself but for all the people that I encounter during the course of my day. It is my job to educate myself on how to live my best life possible, to be the best version of myself. How to be a great mom, what is healthy for mind, body and soul and how to be a great neighbor, family member and friend and most importantly how to be a responsible member of the social world. 


I am on a lifelong journey to be the best that I can be. It is easy to be defensive in situations where you believe your integrity and beliefs are being questioned. What I have learned is that if you are truly secure with yourself and believe in your values than there is no reason to be defensive at any time. There is no reason to not be genuinely happy for the good fortune of others even if you see no value in it. I am learning to set aside my own prejudices and judgements and respect other's ability to make their own decisions. So although I see no value in spending $200 on a purse I know I can find it in myself to compliment the person who does. 


I do believe people make the best decisions they can with with the resources they have before them. I also believe we can never truly know someone's intentions without knowing the whole story. Therefore, I find gossip to be totally pointless and detrimental. Sharing information in a concerned and caring way is one thing but I try not to talk about things that I wouldn't be comfortable saying in front of the person I am talking about. It is easy to condemn the actions of others, it is a lot harder to take the time to understand. You never really know what you would do until you have a walked a mile in their shoes. I truly believe that, for the most part, people do make the best decisions they can with the information and knowledge that they have.


So perhaps I will monitor my progress throughout the course of this blog...I know there will be days I am not successful at being my best person but I think that the more I "check in" with myself the closer I will become to personal fulfillment. 

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post. It will be fun to keep reading this. I'm following from bloggy moms.

    ecwrites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete